If you are an Inner Circle member please contact [email protected] before purchasing for a special discount.
As a focus puller, Derek Edwards shapes the story on screen by controlling what an audience focuses on. The job of a 1st AC is critical, and if the focus isn’t where it should be, a powerful moment between characters will be lost. Derek has mastered the art of focus pulling and has been working with me for about twenty years. In this series, he goes in depth to show us what’s in his kit, how he prepares for a job, and how he sets up his monitor, and he shares his own focus pulling techniques. He also explains how he communicates with his team to lay marks and what he looks for when watching actors to make sure he’s always sharp. Let’s take a look at what you get in this packed series:
- What’s In Your AC Kit: About 28 minutes of video content.
- Derek shows you all of the tools he uses in his tool tote that he calls his “Murse” and in his set case.
- How to Prep a Camera Package: About 24 minutes of video content.
- Derek goes through his process of how he prepares a camera package before a job.
- How to Prep a Lens: About 10 minutes of video content.
- Derek explains how he tests lenses and prepares them before a job.
- Setting Up Your Focus Monitor: About 12 minutes of video content.
- Derek walks you through how he sets up his focus monitor and how certain settings can be used to help you in different situations.
- Pulling Focus: Communicating With Your Team and Laying Marks: About 24 minutes of video content.
- Derek shows you how he communicates with his team to get the right marks and sharp focus.
- Pulling Focus: Zen Focus Techniques and Watching Actors: About 11 minutes of video content.
- Derek shows you how he watches camera movement and the motion of talent so that he can successfully pull focus. He also goes into how he communicates with the team so that everyone is on the same page.