Contains over 9 minutes of extensive video content and analysis.
You will learn:
- Understanding the complexities of prepping a lens.
- The steps you’ll need to take so you don’t overlook anything during the prep.
- Understanding the various lens characteristics and how they’ll affect your production.
- What to look for when you are focusing the lens and using a focus chart.
- What to look for when you check the operation and integrity of the lenses.
- Learning the different prep methods from various working AC’s.
- Knowing the problem areas that a lens can cause on the day.
- How to troubleshoot issues you come across when prepping the lens.
- Creating a system early on and staying organized throughout the prep.
- Understanding the importance of lens prep and the detail needed to execute the job.
As an Assistant Camera in the camera department, it’s your job to prep, organize, and manage the various pieces of the camera package leading into the shoot date. One of the most crucial areas is ensuring that the eyes of the production are in proper working order–the lenses.
In this installment of Camera Assistant Series, Shane Hurlbut, ASC’s 1st AC, Derek Edwards, takes you through his workflow on how to prep lenses and to ensure their integrity for set. He goes step by step through every thought that runs through his mind and what he’s looking out for. With this, you’ll be able to take a lens and prep it properly for your production.
Shane’s Inner Circle members through 4/23/18 received this content as part of their membership.