Being a “great” Assistant Camera in the film industry 100% hinges on being prepped for what’s ahead. From knowing each project inside out and what’s expected of you, to understanding what camera system or systems you will be using, and most importantly, to making sure you have the right tools in your kit to get the job done. It sounds pretty straight forward, but it can take years to fully master your set kit.
My thanks to my 1st AC, Derek Edwards, who is here to give you the inside scoop of what works for him on sent and hopefully this will save you the anguish of not having the right tools at the right time as well as get you a step ahead of the rest.
Derek Edwards has been working with me for 20 years as one of my go-to 1st ACs (Camera Assistant & Focus Puller). Many people have asked him what’s in his kit, so today he’s going to break it down for you, beginning with what he likes to call his “Murse.” In his murse, Derek keeps tools he uses frequently.
Released in Shane’s Inner Circle on 10/20/17. Contains over 10 minutes of extensive video content and analysis.
You will learn:
- The essential tools you’ll need right by your side out in the field.
- A description of each tool and its purpose when put into practice.
- The theory on how to be prepared as a 1st or 2nd AC.
- Understanding the needs of different camera systems.
- Knowing what your DP needs for the job.
- Understanding different ways of organizing your kit and what options there are.
- Alternative tools to get job done.
- How to blend the best of the digital and film world into one kit.
- Understanding the core concepts of being an AC and how you need to pack your team.