Take Your Career to the Next Level with Unparalleled Filmmaking Education from an ASC Cinematographer.
This lesson from Shane’s Inner Circle contains over 15 minutes of extensive video content and analysis – join now and never miss another article like this!
You will learn:
- How to artificially re-create the feel of sun and skylight ambiance inside on a soundstage
- What the different components of natural daylight are
- How alley light acts in natural environments
- How to control ambient light level
- How I turned a community center into a sound stage
- How to cheat the direction of your lighting and still make it look good
- My number one secret for lighting day exteriors inside on a sound stage
- How to avoid failing horribly and set yourself up for success instead
Day exterior set lighting is one of the hardest things you’ll be asked to do as a cinematographer. While you are able to maintain a controlled environment, you also have to perfectly replicate the look and feel of natural sunlight and sky ambiance. Into the Badlands had a large community center to work with. It wasn’t ideal and it wasn’t easy, but they were able to build and light their set and make it look killer.
Shane Hurlbut, ASC will show you how to perfectly re-create completely realistic artificial daytime sunlight and sky ambiance during one of his Into the Badlands day exterior sound stage shoots. You will learn about the quality of daytime exterior light, controlling your ambient light, how to replicate alley light, and how to cheat the direction of your light. Come step on set and see how it’s done so you can apply these techniques to your projects for a realistic feel in your scenes.